31 December 2015

Questions: Coety Bach



Here is a request from Lynda, whose ancestors came from that area:

Wedi cael pleser mawr o ddarllen eich gwefan - Diolch.

Rydw i yn perthyn i deulu Coety Bach ac yn gofyn am gymorth i hel mwy o hanes y teulu - fedrith unrhyw un helpu ?

Thank you very much for the most interesting website. I am related to the family who lived at Coety Bach and would very much like to know if anyone has any information about the family history?

My great grandfather was Elias Williams born in 1843 at Coety Bach and I believe he was the youngest son of Henry and Elin[Ellen] Williams he moved to work in the Penrhyn Slate Quarry and died in Llanllechid having fathered 10 children.

Can anyone tell me anything about the rest of the Coety Bach family? He had 2 sisters, Ellen[Elizabeth]b1830, and Jane 1822, as well as 3 brothers Richiard[sic] b 1825, Robert b 1833, and John b 1835.

I would love to hear from anyone with any history about Coety or the family.

My family and I are living in Rachub/Llanllechid - still in the same village [ over the mountain ] that my great grandfather went to when he began working in the Penrhyn slate Quarry. I believe he left Dyffryn Conwy sometime between 1867 and 1869. I know that Coety and Coety bach are now under Llyn Coety.

Elias married a girl from Llanllechid and lived for a while at Tyddyn Robin Isaf [Llanbedr y Cennin]- this was where my grandfather Henry[b 1867 ]and his sister Ellin [b 1865] were born. I have been to see the graveyard at Llanbedr y Cennin Church and my great great grandparents are buried there to the left of the path leading up to the church.

I have also seen where Tyddyn Rhobin is, but there seems to be no record of Tyddyn Robin Isaf on any OS maps that I've seen . Does anyone know where it was? I would really love to find some family still living in the area, or any history about them.

There are family stories that Henry, my grandfather still kept sheep on the mountain here and would take them over the mountain to sell; he knew the mountains between Llanllechid and Llanbedr y Cennin really well and would walk over to see his family and to drink in Y Bedol. He was well known in sheep dog trial circuits of the time and was the Chairman of the sheep dog association here at the time.

With many thanks for your interest - Diolch yn fawr - Lynda

Lynda Pritchard d.pritchard @ btinternet.com
(To contact Lynda by email, close the anti-spam spaces)

No comments: